Thursday, May 13, 2010

Episode 28: Stevie Wonder




"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

"Life has meaning only in the struggle. Triumph or defeat is in the hands of the gods. So let us celebrate the struggle!"

"Minds ripen at very different ages."

"The two big advantages I had at birth were to have been born wise and to have been born in poverty.'

“Among all the wonderful things we have, we don't seem to have a time to love. And to me that's the fuel, that's the fuel we need to make the engine go.”

"You can't base your life on other people's expectations."

"Just because a man lacks the use of his eyes doesn't mean he lacks vision."
- Stevie Wonder 

A true son of soul, there is no other like Stevie Wonder.  For nearly 50 years, Stevland Hardaway Morris has shared with us his innervisions of love and solidarity, using multi-faceted musical abilities that still amaze. 
 
I first fell in love with Stevie's songs as a kid growing up in the 1980s.  Whenever I heard Ribbon In The Sky, for some reason it always brought tears to my eyes, it was so beautiful and touching.  I used to sing Ebony & Ivory so much I named my two cats after it (luckily one was ebony-coloured, but the other one was a mix of black and white, so I called him Pete, but if he was all white, he would've definitely been named Ivory! I know, I'm silly.) 
 
Anyway, as I grew older, I collected all the Stevie Wonder albums I could, going back into his early childhood years at Motown.  With each new discovery, I became more intrigued by the man and the music of his mind.  If I could use one word to describe Stevie's songs, it would be 'honest'.  You believe every word and feel every note, whether it was a plea for love, a call to justice or just a call to the dancefloor, Stevie's music moves you.  
 
Turning 60 years old today, Stevie Wonder is truly a living legend, one who has and continues to be a strong artistic influence/inspiration to musicians and singers alike.  So in honour of Mr. Wonder's special day, I've put together a double mix of some of my favourite Stevie songs. 

Happy Birthday to ya Stevie!

Love,
Geena


Stevie Wonder Tribute Mix Pt. 1

(to download, click here)
Uptight ( Everything's Alright)
Nothing's Too Good For My Baby
I Was Made To Love Her
Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours
If You Really Love Me
Don't You Worry 'Bout A Thing
Another Star
Part-Time Lover
Sir Duke
Do I Do
I Wish
Higher Ground
Living For The City
Too High
All I Do
As
Master Blaster (Jammin')
That Girl
Golden Lady
I Love Every Little Thing About You
Isn't She Lovely
Happy Birthday


Stevie Wonder Tribute Mix Pt. 2

(to download, click here)
Until You Come Back To Me
My Cherie Amour
Hey Love
You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
I Just Called To Say I Love You
For Your Love
I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)
Overjoyed
Rocket Love
Send One Your Love
If It's Magic
Knocks Me Off My Feet
These Three Words
Ribbon In The Sky
You and I (We Can Conquer The World)
Lately
Visions
You Will Know
Pastime Paradise


---------------------------
Geena Lee
Lovesoul Studio
Toronto, Canada




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment: